1. And this is by far the most important….when Fr. Tim says “I don’t want to scare you but…” The sentence normally ends with something about man eating snakes, spiders with killer bites, scorpions or land mines and so a sensible amount of terror is prudent.
2. In regional airports, there is no check-in. Go to the nearest bar and wait there until you see the plane land. This is the equivalent of having the gate announced. At any rate, it will take them a few minutes to clear the runway of cattle, sheep and goats so you’ll have plenty of time!
3. I can survive without chocolate, wine and my hair straighteners.
4. I am the only person in the world for whom DEET does not work. I am covered in bites and I think every small bug in South Sudan, Kenya and Uganda has had a chomp on some part of me.
5. I will be very happy never to see another bowl of porridge.
6. Using my ipad under the mosquito net at night is a bad idea.
7. That no matter how many times I ask, Tim is not going to allow me to drive the motor bike.
8. It is almost completely pointless to arrive anywhere at the time you’re supposed to be there. Nothing happens here for at least an hour after its supposed to have happened.
9. The cat and I will never be friends.
10. You can always depend on Fr. John Joe to brew an award winning cup of tea.
11. Always keep your eyes open and your mouth closed in the shower 🙂